Westwood Farmers Market & Rocket Fizz - Little Wigs in the ...

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Monday, July 7, 2014

On days like today you ought to tell someone.

Posted on 1:03 PM by paritory

The free public pop-up pool in Brooklyn was our destination this morning. We swam and played in the sand box while looking at the gorgeous cityscape above. T made a friend named Jane and she let him use her goggles in exchange for his puddle jumper. It was a win-win I tell ya. When we were done, we walked along rocky Pier 2 back to the C train and looked at our home. It never gets old, that view. I was feeling mighty lucky in life during that moment, just thought I should tell someone.

Also thought I should tell someone about how the boys were in a heated debate during the full 30 minute train ride to the pool over where we were going. "We going to a new city, T. We going to Bwookwyn!" Everett excitedly said. And then Talmage rolled his eyes and said, "It's actually not a new city Everett. It's a part of New York City." And then Ev got huffy and said, "But we aw weaving Manahattan wight now. So we not hewe anymo." And then T said, "Yes Everett. We are leaving Manhattan and going to Brooklyn. It's a borough Everett. Do I need to teach you about New York City's boroughs?" And much to the amusement of everyone on the train, Talmage started lecturing Ever about how five boroughs make up New York City and yada, yada, yada (because that boy can lecture!) But as we took in our first views of Brooklyn after walking up way too many stairs at the High Street Station Everett's first sincere statement was, "Wow. Is beautiful. We aw in a bwand new city!" And the "HUUUUUUUUUHHHH!" huff that T let out made me giggle so hard I almost couldn't stop myself from falling apart. Night and day, those brothers. Night and day.

And one more thing I should mention, this time about the way home. She immediately caught my eye, that lady sitting across from us on the train. She was brushing her hair (or was it a wig?) and applying cherry red gloss to her big black lips. She caught my eye for some time before Everett caught hers, but man that little boy has a way into just about anyone's heart. She started yelling about how cute he was with a smile so wide you could see down her throat through the spaces where her teeth should have been. In true Ever fashion, he smiled back and was perfectly charming. T on the other hand started spouting out facts like, "Do you know women are called females? That means you're a female. Do you like being a female?" and normal small-talk like that! Pretty soon she yelled (and I mean yelled) to me, "Two boys. When you gonna have yoself a girl?" I smiled and pointed to my hiding baby bump and said, "She's right here!" Well, that just set her off. Before any of us knew it she was looking at the boys and belting out a little jingle, "You're gonna have a girl, she's gonna be in charge!" Lest you're thinking otherwise, just know she was singing LOUD and repeated that song over, and over and over again until she exited the train at 34th Street in route to a support meeting that started in five minutes. I guess she did stop singing a few times, mostly to ask me if I was finally done having kids now and to make the young man sitting next to her say she looked younger than 54, the age she'll be next month. But mostly, she just sang to us and danced a little and sipped something from a water bottle--water? maybe?

When we finally made it back to the 72nd Street stop T said, "Thank you so much for taking us to the Brooklyn pool!" and then under his breath I heard him humming the tune of, "You're gonna have a girl, she's gonna be in charge!" I have to admit that I was ridiculously amused, and it won't surprise me if I hear that song again a time or two--and somehow I don't think I mind. It was a normal and oddly magical sort of day today. Thanks NYC!
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to Facebook
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • On days like today you ought to tell someone.
    The free public pop-up pool in Brooklyn was our destination this morning. We swam and played in the sand box while looking at the gorgeous c...
  • A few thoughts about who I want to be
    So...durp durp. I was pushing two screaming babes down 70th this morning thinking that maybe I should post on this blog and so I kept asking...
  • Recovering from our DC "Vacation"
    James had to take a business trip to Washington DC so we decided that the family would tag along and make a vacation of it. Haha, a vacation...
  • Botanical Garden Trains
    For years I have heard the greatest reviews of the Bronx Botanical Garden's Holiday Train Show, but tickets are a little bit outrageous ...
  • The Met: by day and by night
    We had a morning playgroup at the Met last week. We were not admitted to story time (actually, half of us were kicked out early while the ot...
  • The Cheeseburger and His Brother
    This is the cheeseburger: And this is his brother: The cheeseburger is obviously in a silly-smile stage. He cannot smile without saying chee...
  • Our Places
    Our House: Our Park (right across the street):  Our Fish: His Spaceship (AKA the closet, where he sleeps, normal right?):  His Shiner, cour...
  • Our Easter
    Hope your Easter was as relaxing, fulfilling and wonderful as ours. Sunday was spent as a family of four--eating yummy food, getting in new ...
  • The Sometimes Supermom
    I'll admit, sometimes I think I'm pretty awesome, and it happens in the most random of occasions. I'll be doing the mundane and ...
  • On being his Mary
    It was far too cold to be outside, but they were far too crazy to keep indoors. Talmage was singing the "I'm a gummy bear" son...

Blog Archive

  • ►  2015 (6)
    • ►  January (6)
  • ▼  2014 (103)
    • ►  December (10)
    • ►  November (7)
    • ►  October (8)
    • ►  September (8)
    • ►  August (10)
    • ▼  July (7)
      • Pictures of: a baby, a thunderstorm, a cancelled f...
      • Entering my 3rd with my 3rd: On Subway Seats and D...
      • Mostly Joshua, Our Camel Friend
      • The 4th
      • On days like today you ought to tell someone.
      • Uncle Andrew
      • Ev's big THREE day!
    • ►  June (12)
    • ►  May (9)
    • ►  April (7)
    • ►  March (7)
    • ►  February (5)
    • ►  January (13)
  • ►  2013 (146)
    • ►  December (19)
    • ►  November (12)
    • ►  October (13)
    • ►  September (9)
    • ►  August (19)
    • ►  June (7)
    • ►  May (5)
    • ►  April (17)
    • ►  March (21)
    • ►  February (12)
    • ►  January (12)
  • ►  2012 (189)
    • ►  December (6)
    • ►  November (1)
    • ►  October (16)
    • ►  September (15)
    • ►  August (14)
    • ►  July (22)
    • ►  June (26)
    • ►  May (11)
    • ►  April (21)
    • ►  March (14)
    • ►  February (21)
    • ►  January (22)
  • ►  2011 (56)
    • ►  December (11)
    • ►  November (15)
    • ►  October (16)
    • ►  September (11)
    • ►  August (3)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

paritory
View my complete profile