Westwood Farmers Market & Rocket Fizz - Little Wigs in the ...

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Friday, February 10, 2012

Of Hospitals, Thanks and Chocolate Cupcakes

Posted on 6:34 AM by paritory
After having two babies wind up in the Newborn ICU (Utah Valley and Mercy San Juan), a prolonged visit to the Pediatric ICU for Everett's first surgery (UC Davis), a stay in the Cardiovascular ICU for the most recent heart surgery (Lucile Packard at Stanford) and dozens of visits to the heart center, labs and offices at all of those locations, you would think that I would absolutely hate the hospital. But that's not really the case.


A hospital is a sobering place--it's full of adults and children, each with a heavy load to bear. A hospital is a reverent place--a place where earthly goodbyes are uttered and eternal reunions occur. And a hospital is also an inspiring place--a place where miracles are performed and lives are saved.


Both of my boys lives were saved in hospitals, by doctors and nurses that have spent years studying and perfecting their trade so that they would know how to bless our family. Through all of the craziness that heart disease and the treatment can bring, I have allowed myself the joy of being truly and completely grateful for all that hospitals have to offer. I respect them, I feel safe in them and I'm grateful for them.


Do I want my baby to be in the hospital? No. But that's not because I don't like them, it's frankly because I don't want my baby to be sick. But if my baby is really sick, there is no place I'd rather be than a good hospital with a good doctor and good nurses. And luckily, we've landed in those hands many times.


Our new cardiologist, Dr. Punn, is a total gem. When we were close to being discharged from the hospital I was feeling nervous and overwhelmed. Everett was being sent home much sooner than I had expected, and call me crazy but I wasn't sure if I was ready, or able, to provide him the around the clock care he needed. Dr. Punn walked into Everett's hospital room (purely for a pleasure visit, might I add) right as the bandage was coming off of Everett's chest for the first time. Seeing Evie's scar was all it took to start the tears flowing. This was only my third time seeing Dr. Punn (the first when we were told Evie needed another surgery, the second at our pre-op appointment) and I had cried every single time. He got me tissue and kept reassuring me that our baby was beautiful, that he was recovering well and that we all would be ok. He has young children, his youngest is the same age as Everett, so I feel like he talks to me with the knowledge and expertise of a doctor, but also with the empathy and concern of a fellow parent. When we visited the heart center a few days ago I vowed I would not cry! And Dr. Punn, he was just as charming as ever. Upon entering the room he immediately scooped Everett in his arms and started talking to him. I gave him a big plate of cupcakes just for him, but as delicious as they were I still don't think we're even. I imagine I will always feel a large debt of gratitude to him and our other wonderful doctors.

To say thank you to the wonderful doctors, nurses and staff at Lucile Packard who took such great care of Evie, and in honor of CHD Awareness week, we made dozens and dozens of cupcakes (triple chocolate, peanut butter and vanilla/vanilla) and delivered them to the CVICU and the floor after our appointments. It was nice to see everyone again, and I think they enjoyed seeing us too...


...and with a delivery boy like this can you blame them? Forget about the cupcakes, most of the doctors and nurses that saw Evie again wanted to eat him up! He gave everyone his signature grin and loved his wagon ride. I was pretty generous in my cupcake delivery that day, but I can honestly say that I saved the sweetest sweet for myself--and just might have nibbled on him all afternoon!
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to Facebook
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • On days like today you ought to tell someone.
    The free public pop-up pool in Brooklyn was our destination this morning. We swam and played in the sand box while looking at the gorgeous c...
  • A few thoughts about who I want to be
    So...durp durp. I was pushing two screaming babes down 70th this morning thinking that maybe I should post on this blog and so I kept asking...
  • Recovering from our DC "Vacation"
    James had to take a business trip to Washington DC so we decided that the family would tag along and make a vacation of it. Haha, a vacation...
  • Botanical Garden Trains
    For years I have heard the greatest reviews of the Bronx Botanical Garden's Holiday Train Show, but tickets are a little bit outrageous ...
  • The Met: by day and by night
    We had a morning playgroup at the Met last week. We were not admitted to story time (actually, half of us were kicked out early while the ot...
  • The Cheeseburger and His Brother
    This is the cheeseburger: And this is his brother: The cheeseburger is obviously in a silly-smile stage. He cannot smile without saying chee...
  • Our Places
    Our House: Our Park (right across the street):  Our Fish: His Spaceship (AKA the closet, where he sleeps, normal right?):  His Shiner, cour...
  • Our Easter
    Hope your Easter was as relaxing, fulfilling and wonderful as ours. Sunday was spent as a family of four--eating yummy food, getting in new ...
  • The Sometimes Supermom
    I'll admit, sometimes I think I'm pretty awesome, and it happens in the most random of occasions. I'll be doing the mundane and ...
  • On being his Mary
    It was far too cold to be outside, but they were far too crazy to keep indoors. Talmage was singing the "I'm a gummy bear" son...

Blog Archive

  • ►  2015 (6)
    • ►  January (6)
  • ►  2014 (103)
    • ►  December (10)
    • ►  November (7)
    • ►  October (8)
    • ►  September (8)
    • ►  August (10)
    • ►  July (7)
    • ►  June (12)
    • ►  May (9)
    • ►  April (7)
    • ►  March (7)
    • ►  February (5)
    • ►  January (13)
  • ►  2013 (146)
    • ►  December (19)
    • ►  November (12)
    • ►  October (13)
    • ►  September (9)
    • ►  August (19)
    • ►  June (7)
    • ►  May (5)
    • ►  April (17)
    • ►  March (21)
    • ►  February (12)
    • ►  January (12)
  • ▼  2012 (189)
    • ►  December (6)
    • ►  November (1)
    • ►  October (16)
    • ►  September (15)
    • ►  August (14)
    • ►  July (22)
    • ►  June (26)
    • ►  May (11)
    • ►  April (21)
    • ►  March (14)
    • ▼  February (21)
      • a morning in the courtyard
      • New skills and stuff...
      • anyone else?
      • There's nothing like a sleeping baby
      • Yo Mom, lay off the carrots
      • A Weekend Full of Fam
      • A new President's Day tradition
      • on the things he wears
      • Recap
      • My Littlelest Valentine
      • At least he looks good in a suit
      • A Heart-y Valentine's Party
      • Things you should know about a heart mom
      • Feeling the Love
      • If I could write your story, son
      • Of Hospitals, Thanks and Chocolate Cupcakes
      • A Mother's Perspective
      • Everett's story--the diagnosis
      • CHD Awareness Week 2012
      • The BOYS Room
      • They're out to get me.
    • ►  January (22)
  • ►  2011 (56)
    • ►  December (11)
    • ►  November (15)
    • ►  October (16)
    • ►  September (11)
    • ►  August (3)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

paritory
View my complete profile